Here are a selection of our best hints and tips to ensure your wedding photos are as perfect as you want them to be...
10 Hints for great photos...
Smile! I know, it seems crazy that on the happiest day of your life our number one tip is just to smile, but sometimes the pressure and stress gets to people and they forget! A smile lifts your face and brightens the mood and a laugh is contagious :-)
Relax! We just said it - stress hides your smile so banish it from your day. Don't micromanage on your wedding day and trust your professionals to do their job. If something small does go awry, it's only you who will know - your guests are too busy enjoying themselves to notice!
Be natural! You want to look back at your wedding day and see yourself, not a caricature. Don't play a role - act as you normally do and your photos will have that beautifully natural, candid air about them.
Take some time! You have just exchanged words you hope never to say to another human being ever again and made a commitment for life to another person - it is a big deal and you should take a few moments to let that sink in. Long lenses are great for capturing those deeply intimate moments of reflection.
Practice! If you're worried about your "look" then spend some time in front the mirror to see what angles and poses flatter your face and figure (just no duck-face please). The three basics are to angle your body to the camera, tilt your head and put a hand on your hip. You'll be amazed at the difference it makes! If you're still concerned then book a pre-wedding shoot with your photographer - and book your hair and makeup trial at the same time - that way you get to see the whole look.
List it! If you want to make sure we capture every image you want then give us a list. Those family group photos are the ones we really need to have a list for - we don't know your families and friends. The better the list, the quicker those photos will be. We're always happy to look at your Pinterest inspiration board too and we love your input on the day - it's your wedding after all.
Light is the lifeblood of great photos! The more light we have the more we can do with it! Natural light is more flattering and golden hour is the best time of the day so talk to us about your planning and DOWNLOAD our planning guide further down the page. Great lighting at your venue will help too - we can always make our own light, but it's never as pretty as well planned mood lighting.
Have an emergency kit! We carry some basics to every wedding, but some band-aids, panadol, a safety pin or two, a needle and thread, and some hairspray, spare lippy and some mints will make you feel much more reassured on the day.
Acceptance! If it rains on your day it's good luck - you will still get amazing photos, they'll just be in the rain! Your dress is going to get a little bit dirty, especially if you want memorable photos! Your feet will hurt in those three-inch heels! There are some things you just can't change and you shouldn't let them interfere with your enjoyment of the day.
Trust us! Your photographer has captured hundreds of weddings and knows what they are doing in any situation. There's absolutely no way we are going to show you a picture that isn't flattering or that we are not 100% happy with!
Time is money - download our wedding day timeline planner... /media/pages/4104-photovideotimeline.pdf
This is the document we use when planning your wedding photography and video. It lists all the important events of the day in chronological order and has space to add your exact timings for the day. Feel free to download and print it out and use as a planning tool to work out what coverage you will need on your day and what events are important to you.
10 Tips for Choosing the Perfect Wedding Wedding Photographer
Whether you choose to go with us or not, here is a list of questions you should ask your wedding photographer (with our answers neatly tucked in underneath):
1. Are you available for my date? This is the million dollar question? You can have a look at our calendar on the website to see if we are available - it gets updated as soon as new bookings are confirmed.
2. Who will actually be photographing my Wedding Day? Our principal photographer, Dave Wall CPP, photographs all our weddings, with assistants as required.
3. How long have you been photographing weddings? Dave has been a full-time photographer for over 15 years and has photographed weddings that whole time, shooting many hundreds of weddings along the way. We have been operating in Queensland since 2006 and are fully registered as a business.
4. Are you a member of any professional organisation? Yes! Dave has been accredited as a Certified Professional Photographer (CPP), by both the AIPP and PPAQ, the only bodies to formally represent professional photographers in Queensland.
5. Are you insured?
Yes! We carry both Public Liability Insurance ($10m), and full business insurance cover.
6. What happens if... Dave issick? He takes a Panadol and gets on with the day. Should he be incapacitated by a broken leg etc, Nadine will shoot your day (she has shot over 50 weddings by herself), and, failing that, then PPAQ will come to our assistance and help find a fully qualified replacement.
A camera breaks? Cameras do break! That's why we carry replacements and a replacement for that replacement! If a photographer is going to try and cover your wedding without a minimum of 3 professional level camera bodies then they are NOT a professional!
It rains? We all get a little bit wet! We carry rain jackets for our cameras so can shoot in the rain. We try and carry umbrellas for you too if we can. We will always ask you about your Plan B though - it's a good idea to have one!
7. When will my images be ready to view? You will receive a rush selection of around 30-40 images on your very own, personalised Wedding App the next day after your wedding. Your main selection of images will be normally be ready within 2-3 weeks though that can stretch to 4-6 weeks in busy times. Albums can take up to 8 weeks to manufacture from the final sign-off of completed pages.
8. Describe your photography style? Photojournalistic with a fashion-inspired flair! As a professional photographer, though, you tell me what style of imagery you want and I shoot it that way!
9. Can I request specific shots? Of course you can! We always ask for a list of shots you would like. We can't always promise to capture every single shot on your list but we will do our absolute best!
10. What is the TOTAL price I am going to have to pay? Our price list pricing is the TOTAL price you HAVE to pay! You can order extra album sides and album enhancements if you want, but you do not have to! Wedding albums DO NOT need 80 sides and to cost upwards of $10,000 to be exquisitely beautiful!
We don't believe in hard-sell tactics or in hiding the true cost of an album like so many of our competitors do.